Search our Website


The FuSE-65 Giant Würzburg Radar

« Previous | Index | Next »

Giant Würzburg - German Tracking Radar


Photo of the FuSE-65 Giant Würzburg Radar at the National Electronics Museum in Linthicum, Maryland.

Photo of the FuSE-65 Giant Würzburg radar antenna on display at the National Electronics Museum in Linthicum, Maryland.

The FuSE-65 Giant Würzburg radar was developed by the Telefunken Co. and built in Germany during World War II. According to Museum information, it was used to locate and track Allied bombers along the German occupied coast from France to Norway. A pair of Würzburg antennas were used together; one to track Allied bombers and the second to guide German fighters.


There were two types of Würzburg tracking radars, both of which used a parabolic dish antenna, and the larger FuSE-65 Giant Würzburg had a 24 foot antenna size, a 44 mile range, and was highly accurate.1 This larger radar had nearly twice the range of the smaller Wurzburg.


Operation Biting, (Bruneval Raid) - British Capture of Würzburg Components


Side view of the Giant Würzburg radar antenna

Side view of Giant Würzburg radar antenna.

Connecting the increasing losses of RAF bombers to the German radar installations appearing on reconnaissance photos, the British launched Operation Biting, (Bruneval Raid). In February 1942, British paratroops landed near the radar installation at Bruneval, France, which was near the coast. These soldiers were to be evacuated by boat after the raid. The mission succeeded in capturing key components of the Würzburg radar which were taken back to Britain to be studied by scientists in order to create countermeasures for the radar.


Giant Würzburg – Signal Corps to Museum

According to museum information, the large parabolic dish antenna in front of the museum was captured by the U.S. Army at the end of World War II and brought to the United States for evaluation by the Signal Corps.


After the war, it was used by the National Bureau of Standards to make studies of solar radio noise at the Central Radio Propagation Laboratory in Sterling, Virginia. Later the antenna was moved to Table Mountain, Colorado. It was acquired in 2006 by the National Electronics Museum and moved to its present location in Linthicum, Maryland.2

Advertisement

Photos taken by WW2HQ staff with permission of the National Electronics Museum.


Notes:

1 Kopp C., Milestones: 'Early Air Defence Radar', Defence Today, Vol.6.No.5, 2008. Apr, pps. 35-36.

2 National Electronics Museum Gallery Guide. p.53.

Related books:
Ground Radar Systems of the Luftwaffe 1939-1945: (Schiffer Military/Aviation History) - by Werner Muller.



^Top



Advertisement